Discord is a popular voice and text chat app designed for gamers. However, it has evolved to become more than just that over the years, and today, it is used by large communities, including hobbyists, students, and professionals, to get connected and socialize. If you’re new to Discord, getting started can be a bit daunting, but worry not, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we provide a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to join a Discord server, from creating your account to finding and joining an existing server.
Step 1: Create Your Account
The first step to joining a Discord server is to create a Discord account. The process is straightforward, and it will take you a few minutes to complete. Here’s how:
1. Visit the Discord website at www.discord.com.
2. Click the “Open Discord” button.
3. On the Discord homepage, click the “Sign Up” button located at the top of the page.
4. You will be prompted to enter your email address, username, and password. Fill in the required details and click the “Sign Up” button.
5. Check your email for a verification link and click on it to complete the account creation process.
Note that you can also sign up for Discord using your Facebook or Google account. If you choose this option, you’ll need to follow the prompts to link your Facebook or Google account to your Discord account.
Step 2: Navigate the Discord Interface
Once you’ve created your account, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with the Discord interface. Here’s a brief overview of the various elements on the Discord app:
1. Server list: This is located on the left side of the Discord screen and shows a list of servers you’ve joined.
2. Channels: Channels are located in the center of the screen and contain various conversations and messages.
3. Members: This is located on the right side of the screen and shows a list of server members.
4. Account settings: You can access your account settings by clicking on the gear icon located at the bottom of the server list.
Step 3: Search for Discord Servers
Now that you have an active Discord account and you’re familiar with the Discord interface, it’s time to look for servers to join. Here are two ways to do this:
1. Through the Discord Server Discovery Feature: This feature allows you to explore various servers that interest you. Here’s how:
a. Click on the “Home” icon on the left side of your Discord screen.
b. Scroll down to the “Server Discovery” section, which showcases some randomly selected servers.
c. Click on any server that interests you to preview it.
d. If the server appeals to you, click “Join Server” to become a member.
2. Using a Server Invite Link: If you know the name of the server you want to join or have been given an invite link, follow these steps:
a. Click the “+” icon located on the left side of the Discord screen.
b. Select “Join a Server.”
c. Paste the server invite link in the provided box.
d. Click “Join Server” to become a member.
Note that some discord servers may require you to have a specific role or permission to join. If you’re having trouble with this, consider contacting the server administrators.
Step 4: Customize Your Discord Account
Before you start interacting on Discord servers, take some time to customize your account. Here are some ways to do that:
1. Update Your Profile Picture: Click on your profile icon, located on the bottom left corner of the screen, to upload a picture that represents you.
2. Set Your Gaming Status: You can set your gaming status to either Online, Idle, Do not disturb, or Invisible.
3. Change Your Username: If you want to change your username, click on your profile icon and select “User Settings.” Click on “Edit” to update your username.
4. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): 2FA is an extra layer of security that helps protect your account. You can enable this feature by clicking on “User Settings” and selecting “Enable Two-Factor Authentication.”
Step 5: Start Interacting on Discord
Now that you’ve joined a server and customized your account, you can start interacting with other members. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Read the Server Rules: Most discord servers have rules that govern member behavior. Make sure you familiarize yourself with these rules before you start interacting with other members.
2. Introduce Yourself: Take some time to introduce yourself on the server’s introduction or welcome channel. This will help you get noticed and make new friends.
3. Join Discussions and Participate: Discord servers are great places to join discussions, ask questions, offer help, and generally interact with other members.
4. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help: If you’re new to Discord, don’t shy away from asking for help if you need it. The majority of Discord members are welcoming, and many are ready to help new members feel comfortable and integrated into the community.
Joining a Discord server is relatively easy, and with this step-by-step guide, you should now feel confident enough to navigate your way around the app. Remember that Discord has an active and expansive user base with various interests represented. Engaging with communities can help you socialize, acquire knowledge and skills, and grow your network. Enjoy your Discord journey!